When attorneys need representation, they turn to the attorneys at Horton, Shields & Knox, P.C. We have been handling ethics related matters for over 30 years, including:
- Representation of attorneys in disciplinary proceedings before the local panels and the Statewide Grievance Committee
- Representation of attorneys during presentment proceedings before the Connecticut Superior Court and the Connecticut Appellate and Supreme Courts
- Consultation with attorneys and law firms throughout the state on issues of legal ethics such as conflicts of interest or law firm dissolution
- Consultation with attorneys and law firms on lawyer advertising
- Consultation with and representation of attorneys as to random audits and employee defalcations
- Consultation with and representation of attorneys as to defalcations
- Representation regarding the unauthorized practice of law
- Representation for the defense in professional negligence matters
- Defense of legal malpractice actions
- Expert witness testimony for grievance proceedings or legal malpractice cases
Consultations may seek limited advice or a long term relationship. It is better to ask first, than regret later.
In addition, attorneys from the firm represent candidates for admission to the Connecticut Bar in both the application process and before the Bar Examining Committee. We also represent attorneys on applications for readmission to the practice of law in the Connecticut Superior and Appellate Courts.
Attorney Horton has testified as an expert witness both in Connecticut Superior Court and in depositions on ethical issues such as conflict of interest and the reasonableness of fees. Attorney Knox has also testified as an expert witness on professional ethics in Connecticut Superior Court and before the Statewide Grievance Committee on issues such as conflicts and reasonableness of fees.
The commitment of the firm to professional ethics extends beyond representation. Attorney Wesley Horton was Chair of the CBA Committee on Professional Ethics and has been a member since 1976. Attorney Kimberly Knox has been a member of the Committee on Professional Ethics since 1989 and is a former Chair of the CBA Litigation Section. Attorney Knox annotates the Rules of Professional Conduct in the Connecticut Practice Book Annotated, an annual publication authored in large part by attorneys of the firm. Attorneys Knox and Levesque both belong to the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers. Attorney Levesque speaks on a regular basis on lawyer ethics and risk prevention. Attorneys Knox and Dowd are listed in Best Lawyers for Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law.
Attorneys Knox and Levesque have annually authored the Ethics Review in the Bar Journal since 2009. To review those articles, please click on the following hyperlinks: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014, 2015. (Reprinted with permission from the Connecticut Bar Association).
For more information on these attorneys, please review their profiles.